Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"Girly" side of life



Anyone who knows me, knows I love the “girly” side of life. I may or may not still wear facial glitter a time or two. I may or may not know every song lyric (with adjoining dance steps) to every High School Musical ever made. I may or may not thrive on reading teen love stories and cry when their young hearts are broken. I may or may not have a wardrobe largely consisting of the color pink. So you may question why in the world had I not planned my dream wedding since childhood.

Yes you heard it…I never chose colors or flowers or centerpieces or imagined the exact fit of my wedding gown. I never looked through Bride magazine for future ideas of ring choice and invitation ideas. In fact I would have to go as far to say that I hated the thought of doing so! How does someone so girly get so turned off by the thought of wedding planning? Maybe it’s because I was raised in a family of six children while I the lone girl did not have anyone to throw ideas around with. Maybe it was the horrible acting job of JLo in the supposedly sweet movie “Wedding Planner” (I mean honestly, who only picks out the brown M&Ms!?) I still cannot answer that question. All I know is that when I finally got engaged I was overwhelmed by the tedious array of choices that accumulate in the “Wedding World.”

That is why I am dedicating this post to the beloved, Marnie (whom I doubt will ever read this blog, but deserves the credit none-the-less.) When Dallas and I started to plan our life together I may have had a few panic attacks thinking about leaving my other life behind. I was going to be saying goodbye to dear friends, students, and coworkers who had made up my life for the past four years and moving to the Bay area. In addition I needed to recertify to teach in California and try to find a job close to where we were planning on living. Not to mention the move alone of not only my apartment, but my classroom as well (My mother of course would be the saving grace for these huge obstacles!) So you can see why, planning a wedding fell further and further down my to-do list. After speaking with my parents I realized we needed to fork out the cash to hire a wedding planner.

Both sets of parents where out of state, including my fiancée, so it seemed like a no brainer. This was the best decision we ever could have made! The day of the wedding our family was able to sit back and enjoy the festivities instead of rushing around trying to set things up, clean things up, and make sure everything was accounted for. Marnie did an amazing job! After I showed her a sample picture of colors and flowers she ran with it. The bouquet turned out wonderful, the reception was wonderful…basically everything was wonderful. So my hat goes off to the incredible Marnie (wherever she is now) and her creative ideas that made Dallas and I’s day that much more perfect. J


4 comments:

  1. Everything was very beautiful. You did a great job with the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, you have, like, a zillion blogs to follow! I feel honored to be among them. Maybe, maybe not.... whatever! You are the one who converts others to the girly life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She did do a great job at the reception; it was beautiful.

    Honestly after working in the business for years, EVERY bride should do it. Find a good one like this and you'll have success! I guess I'm preaching to the choir huh! :D LOL not sure what that was all about. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kirsten! How are you? I didn't know you had my blog address. I didn't know yours either. How are you doing? It has been too long since we have seen each other. I hope you are doing well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed