Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Devonshire


There is an apartment complex at the corner of 700 N and University Ave. in Provo, UT called the Devonshire. It's the average college condo/apartment complex directly south of BYU campus; nothing to the structure (besides a remarkably poorly constructed underground parking lot) that would make this complex any greater than the next. Yet for three years of my college life I spent living within the walls of this seemingly "magical" place. I know you might ask "What makes something magical?" No the Devonshire was not sprinkled with fairy dust or was renowned throughout campus as a famous place of residence, but the most remarkable thing happened during my years there...


The stars seemed to align by allowing the most diverse, caring, fun, loving people, all at the same points in their lives, struggling with the same difficulties, embracing the excitement and thrills that life had to offer, to live within the walls of Devonshire. I moved into my apartment there, not knowing anyone, during the spring of 2002 and exited spring of 2005 having met and created some of the closest most life changing friends in my life to date.

We went on some of the greatest road trips at least once a month; destinations including Zions National Park, Las Vegas, Denver, Disneyland, and Bryce Canyon. We would set up elaborate group dates with a new creative theme where dressing up was mandatory. But my favorite is how we would stay up till the wee hours of the morning sitting in the halls, playing cards, talking, or getting into spontaneous water fights, just because we couldn't get enough of each other.


I keep telling Dallas that there is a "Devonshire" code that I stick to in life. Basically described as dropping everything to help a friend in need. For example, before Dallas and I met, one of these "Dev" friends, whom I had not seen or spoken to for a couple years, called out of the blue needing a place to stay for the night while traveling through on business. I didn't think twice about the request and was excited to introduce my roommates to someone whom had impacted my life so fully.

Today I make it a special effort to stay in contact with my friends and love any excuse to reunite for a fun adventure! I first met Maren while living in the Devonshire and am happy to say that 8 years later she is still one of my closest friends. When she came to visit in March I knew it was the perfect excuse to get together our other Dev friends whom have moved to the Bay area. We all met up at Tilden Park for a picnic lunch. There's nothing like good friends and perfect weather!



Thanks again Maren, Whitney, Alex, Jill, Abby, Ben, Jackie, and Dave for spoiling me with such GREAT friends!! We need to get together more often!!

6 comments:

  1. too bad we didn't live there at the same time. Looks like I missed out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just glad we were connected through the Dev :) Who knows what we would have done if it weren't for Whitney and Storm introducing us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes...totally shedding a tear. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, love you too! I still can't believe how great we all had it there :) It's hard to try to explain it to Dallas, but he is so sweet in listening to me retell dev stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, LOVE it! I wish we all would have been around when I was there last summer and over CHRISTmas...but another time! Sigh, I LOVE reading of your adventures! Someday I'll have great ones too... ;) Love you all from those days too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol! When are you coming home again? We will be gone at Christmas, but only for a week, so let us know the next time you're in town!! We definitely need to get everyone together again. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed