Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Whale Watching in Monterey


So I realize that Dallas and I have already been whale watching within the last five months, but I couldn't give up the chance to take Maren down to Monterey while she was visiting. It is always a new experience and I see something different each time I go, plus I had never been out past Monterey point before. Dallas thinks it's pretty funny for someone who gets so motion sick, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be than out on the water.

Oddly enough I had never been to Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey, even though I have an annual pass to the Monterey Bay Aquarium that I frequently visit, and was very excited to check things out while we waited to board. We both stocked up on motion sickness lozenges and pills before the trip, which turned out to be an incredibly smart decision since the swells were extremely high. At one point the boat was being thrown back and forth so much that I literally fell into Maren, then was tossed back into a total stranger, and nearly went flying overboard. I'm sure everyone thought we were the drunk girls celebrating spring break or something...little did they know that I'm just a total klutz!


We were able to see a pod of over 30 dolphin that were playing along and in the wake of our boat for a few miles. Then we were also able to see 5 different gray whales; a couple of which even breached! It was seriously amazing and of course I wasn't able to capture any of it on my camera. It's never quite possible to capture the magic unless you're physically there. That's probably why I keep going back. I think my favorite was watching Maren trying to maneuver on deck while holding a fleece blanket wrapped around her body! Being from Vegas, she has become quite the wimp to the colder weather, but I guess I got a little chilly too...


We finished off the exciting adventure by eating at one of the local fish grottos along the pier. Nothing like fresh fish and chips to make and end to a perfect day!

2 comments:

  1. So sad to say that I have never been whale watching... which is pretty pathetic since I grew up in Santa Barbara. I would love to go someday though. Looks like you guys had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you girls are so funny. always jealous of your little escapades! love you!

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed