Friday, February 26, 2010

My Little Camstar

It’s been raining here all day and there is just something about the rain that makes me want to cuddle up and reminisce about past experiences. I guess a huge part of that is due to the fact that I’m not teaching this year, so often times I will stroll down memory lane and think about all the amazing little souls I’ve been able to interact with throughout the years. I have some incredible stories, but today I’m going to focus on one dear friend in particular. Her name is Cammi. Even just saying her name brings a smile to my face.
It was in my first year of teaching when a fellow coworker told me about a mentor program in the Provo Valley where I would be paired with a youth to help with whatever needs might be prominent at the time. It was through this program that I first got to meet “my little Camstar.” Every week, for over three years, we met for an activity. Sometimes these activities turned into what we would call our “adventures.” Whether it was playing rummikub while eating frozen yogurt at FroYo, hiking through Provo canyon, reenacting Lord of the Rings in the local park, or visiting the zoo, I could always count on hours of laughter and entertainment from my little Camstar.
It’s been almost two years since I’ve been able to see Cammi, but I am constantly reminded of her and our time together. I wish I could be there for her in person as she enters this crazy time of high school. I know without a doubt that she is going to accomplish incredible things in life. She’ll probably be the next J.K. Rowling! And when she does become this all famous author, maybe there will be a little dedication at the front of one of her books to her big sister, Kirsten, and all the fun times we had together!


Cammi and I spent a fun day at the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City. We had some fun taking pictures with all the animals; especially the Gorilla!

We took a hike around Sundance and found an outside amphitheater where we had our own talent show. Cammi had some serious dancing skills!

One of our girl afternoons out we went and got pedicures. I'm the only girl out of six kids, so I absolutely loved the excuse to be a girly girl and pamper ourselves!

We loved to go to the Thanksgiving Point Dinosaur Museum.
Goofing off was definitely our favorite thing to do!

I've realized over the past couple years that my time with Cammi was an incredible experience that few get to have in their lives. She will always be my little sister and I will always be grateful for the time I was able to share with her.
I love ya, Camstar!

3 comments:

  1. I think it is so awesome that you were able to do that. Such an amazing service that benefited both of you! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a whole bunch of things I wanted to say...but when I finished reading the post, I'd forgotten most of them.

    It's funny, I still think of all the boys I've had in the mentor program over the years...I miss them too and am grateful for all of the marshmallow-gun wars, hiking and camping trips, and all of the other activities we were able to do together.

    There's just something amazing about sharing yourself with others, and when they share back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was lucky to have you in her life! I still think of Ashley every once in awhile and wonder what she is doing. Those are good memories.

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed