Monday, March 14, 2011

Flashback Friday: Batman Date

Wow, so second week in a row and my "Flashback Friday" is not landing on a friday...I guess it's the thought that counts.

I've been taking a walk through memory lane the past couple days while transferring all of my pictures to one external hard drive.  It's been quite the task, but it's given me an excuse to look through all my pictures from when I got my first digital camera in 2005.  That one purchase has saved me, literally, thousands of dollars on film and developing costs alone.  Thank you updated technology!

I have a love for party planning, specifically group dates.
Not just your typical party planning, but themed parties that require participants to dress up and tap into their youth reserve.  While living in Provo, I spearheaded several of these group dates, all with different themes, and they are some of my favorite memories.

In March of 2005, I was halfway through my first year teaching and thought it would be the perfect time for another adventure.  I got a large group of girls together and pretty soon the room was full with tons of ideas and excited giggles. Our first step was to invite our dates.  We created cryptic invitations requesting them to dress up as their favorite Batman character and then meet at one of four different block corners.  They had to RSVP to a blocked cell number by a certain date in order to come.  



Our second step was pretty ingenious.  We asked our Bishop, who was dressed up as Alfred, to drive a Uhaul truck around to pick up all of these random boys dressed as superheroes throughout the south Provo area.  He then took them in circles for miles until they were good and lost and then drove them to my school, Sunset View Elementary.  


While the boys were being towed throughout the valley, us girls were decorating my classroom.  Luckily I taught out in a portable, so we didn't have to enter the actual school building.  We pushed my students' desks into an adjoining room, covered all four walls with black butcher paper from floor to ceiling, hung bats and question marks from the ceilings, and drew the Gotham city skyline to finish.
  
Looking back, I still can't believe I thought this would be ok with my boss...I don't think I was really thinking!  


When the boys showed up we had tables set up for dinner and batman music playing to set the mood.  Playing cards were at each group to use while waiting for the food to be served.  Because there was such a large group of us, we inevitably had double of some characters.  My friend and I went as Louis Lane, while my date came as two face.  Yeah, he was pretty much brilliant!  We had a blast showing off our costumes, eating, and playing games. 


After dinner, we all crammed into the back of the Uhaul and drove to our friends house to watch the first Batman movie.  It was such a fun night!  We all had a blast getting to know each other better and literally take a trip into our childhood fantasies of superheroes and heroines!


Although I do recommend getting the green light from your employer before you embark on something so elaborate :)

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe Ian Strawn are in these pictures. You know he married Lora, right?! Crazy to see these old pictures of him. WOW! Fun pictures and good flash back! Crazy how small the world really is sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny huh!? Ian was my buddy in the ward, so you can imagine how excited I was when he and Lora started dating. In fact I asked him on this date, because my boyfriend of three years was having doubts "again" and I wanted to go with someone totally fun that would help me laugh through it all. I sure do love those two!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This date was SO fun!! You're amazing Kirsten!

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed