Thursday, March 24, 2011

Friday Flashback: Hot Air Balloon


In December of 2007, Dallas invited me to visit for the weekend.
We call it our "Magical Weekend", because it's the weekend that we fell in love.
Dallas pulled out all the stops for our three days together: shopping at Union Square in San Francisco, Cheesecake Factory, tour of the Presidio and Golden Gate Park/Bridge, third row tickets to a cirque du soleil on the Embarcadero, black tie work gala/dance, and the ultimate on my bucket list...a hot air balloon ride over Napa Valley.


He woke me up Saturday morning at 4am, telling me I had only a few minutes to get ready before my "surprise".  We then drove the half hour up to Napa, where I finally realized what we would be doing.  Needless to say, I was a bit excited!  Our hot air balloon held 16 people, plus our pilot.  Two couples actually got engaged while we were on the ride.  We were in the air about an hour, drifting over some of the most gorgeous vineyards.  I wish I could put into words what the experience was like, how it felt to slowly rise in the air, watch the sunrise while feeling like I was flying.  I guess all I can leave you with are a few pictures that will never do it justice.


I remember talking to Dallas about my bucket list on our first date; I don't remember specifically what I said, but when he sent me flowers to my classroom the following week the card read...

Thought you needed these after your first day back to teaching.
Plus it was easier to arrange than a hot air balloon ride.

I was floored by how well he actually listened on our date.  How he remember the little details that I couldn't even remember.  This thoughtfulness is also why the surprise hot air balloon ride meant so much.  It literally sealed the deal for me.  So you can see why, when we got engaged, our invitations were designed around our adventure.  

3 comments:

  1. One day.... I'm going to do this. I mean for real and not just attached to a rope at Deer Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't believe how amazing you looked when getting up so stinkin' early!! You have a good man there. Don't tell him, though - don't want his head to get too big. (:

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed