Monday, September 27, 2010

Marathon Hike to Alamere Falls

Ok, so it wasn't quite a marathon, but it definitely was a half marathon!
My exercise pattern has been anything but regular lately, but I am trying to get back into the swing of it.  So I had this brilliant idea of going on an adventurous hike to Alamere Falls through the Point Reyes National Seashore trails.  One would think the smart thing to do is first check the mileage, but on my cute little park map it didn't look too far, so we thought it would be a perfect morning activity.  

Before I begin this entry, I should tell you a little about my new friend, Kelsey.  She's pretty much just awesome and has been heaven sent being willing to go on all sorts of crazy adventures.  She's the little sister of one of my friends in the ward and is staying with them until she goes back to school next semester at BYU-I.  Yeah...she's only 19 and it's our running joke between us that I am the mature 30 year old hanging out with the teenager.  But in all reality she's pretty mature for her age and I'm pretty immature, so I guess that means we meet somewhere in the middle...

Anyway, we decided to go on our hike a couple weeks ago thinking that it'd be about 5-6 miles.  I knew I wouldn't be able to hike too quickly, but we were dead set on reaching the falls.  How was I supposed to know that it was 6 miles in and THEN 6 more miles back out!?

We started at the trailhead where there were posters warning us of mountain lions...seriously!?  Not a good sign right at the beginning, but we still continued on.

The first half mile was through an absolutely gorgeous eucalyptus forest.  I am in love with the smell...one of my favorite things about northern California!

After the eucalyptus the trail led us out into the open cliffside looking out at the ocean.  It was breathtaking and I only wish that these pictures could do it justice!  We hiked along the ridge for a couple miles and found some fun tracks we swore were from mountain lions, but looking back look more like deer...

I have to admit that this was probably one of the most beautiful hikes I had ever been on; if I hadn't been so darn tired half way through, I would totally do it again!  After the ridge, the trail led us inland where it circled around two different secret lakes.  I'm sure there was a way to access them, but we wanted to make sure we had enough energy to get to the falls so we only looked at them from the trail.  It was amazing to see all the different trees and plants along the path as well; so much diversity.

The last half mile cut off from the main trail where we tromped through spider webs and didn't see a single person.  The trail was "unmaintained" which basically meant it was a thin line through massive bushes.  We were both just hoping the falls were going to be worth it!

When we finally reached the falls we were exhausted, sweaty, and hungry.  So we set up camp along the falls and had a picnic while we caught our breath.  
Alamere Falls is made up of four different levels the top three medium sized while the final drop off to the ocean was a little over 20 feet.


 One thing I love about Kelsey is she is fearless, therefore when I dared her to jump into the FREEZING falls she didn't hesitate a bit!

I loved the last falls that met up with the ocean.  Kelsey got some great shots of me at the top while she was standing on the beach.  

I can't help, but feel utterly blessed to live in such a GORGEOUS area and even though I felt like I was going to die on the way back out, the views were amazing and I would recommend this hike to anyone...I just may not join you on it :)




4 comments:

  1. That is a gorgeous hike! I'm so glad you bring your camera w/ you wherever you go. The color of the ocean is incredible. So sorry it was super long, but you made it. Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous hike! Wow, what beauty this earth contains. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a hardcore hiker, but I like me a good hike now and then and this one looks beautiful! Miss you! I'm back from India, lets talk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am finally catching up on your posts! Sounds fun - but grueling. I always have mixed feelings about hiking - beautiful, but so exhausting.

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed