Saturday, May 28, 2011

Flashback Friday: Christmas with Emmie

I've embarked on an overwhelming task of converting all of my past images to digital.  For all those who know me, especially during my pre-digital camera college years, you know that this task is incredibly daunting!  But with the school year coming to a close and me needing to find productive projects to complete while I have the time this summer, I figured I couldn't procrastinate the inevitable any longer.

I have spent the past couple days after work scanning hundreds of pictures, and have only just made it to my 22nd birthday...considering I will be turning 31 this July, you can imagine how long this project will take!  Dallas teases me saying that you could condense his entire life of pictures into one month of pictures I've taken, so that's hopeful when I start to convert his images.
The fun thing with this project is that I am able to take a trip down memory lane, which makes for perfect Flashback Friday posts.  This flashback takes place in December of 2001; Christmas in Ephrata.  I had spent the summer teaching in Mukono, Uganda and lived with the most amazing host family, the Tumwesigyes.  Their oldest daughter, Emmaculate (Emmie), came back with us to America to attend university.  This was Emmie's first Christmas away from her family, so of course my mom and dad jumped at the opportunity of opening their home.
Since I had always complained about not having a sister, mom went a little crazy with the matching outfits.  We had matching stockings, hats, pajamas, and stocking stuffers.  It was so much fun to see Emmie's face light up when opening presents.  To be honest I think she was a little overwhelmed with everything.  She couldn't imagine how Mom and Dad could be so generous.
All of my siblings were home for the holidays, including two sister-in-laws, and two nephews, so needless to say it was a packed house and we loved every minute of it!  My brothers immediately inducted Emmie into the family, she even got lots of snuggle time with little Bradley.  She loved our family traditions, especially the Christmas Eve present drop.  She even held her own at the crazy Bair, Adams, Rundle Christmas party!
My favorite part of the holidays was snuggling with my nephews Max and new born Lincoln.  I've always loved a good snuggle!  It was funny to hear what Emmie loved best.  She kept talking about how funny she thought dad was and how much she loved him.  Dad is polar opposite from her father and I think she was just amazed that you could have a personal relationship and actually laugh with your father.
It was such an amazing experience having Emmie in our home for the holidays.  She had such a unique perspective on things and was so gracious and thankful.  I loved being able to share my family with her, like she had done for me.  

I love you, Emmie.  I wish we lived closer and were able to see each other more often.  I am so grateful to call you my sister.  I miss and love you so much! 

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful memories! That was a fun Christmas of sharing with Emmie- love her! And YOU!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed