Saturday, May 21, 2011

My Father the Hero

To know my dad is to love my dad.
No matter where we are, the grocery store, an airplane, theater, foreign country, or restaurant, my dad will make friends.  His philosophy is if someone is wearing a name tag you call them by their names.  I've always been amazed at his ability to make people, even total strangers, feel absolutely loved.  I asked Dallas to give me two words to describe my father and he said "quirky" and "adorable".  Not sure how my dad will feel about his son-in-law thinking he is adorable, but I couldn't help but smile.  I thought of my quirky characteristics of not being able to use the same utensil from dinner to desert, or needing to be at the airport at exactly 1.5-2 hours before my flight, or needing to smile at every stranger who passes on the street.  How many of these qualities come from my dad?  Dallas later continued with adjectives such as generous, humble, spiritual, benevolent, etc.  Both of my parents are extremely generous, to the point where it may seem ridiculous to the average onlooker, but when you are raised with such generosity it doesn't shock you when your parents give two cars away because there are people in need or spend countless hours and finances to anonymously take care of neighbors and members of the community.  I'm sure they will read this post and be totally embarrassed, so I will refrain from continuing, but I'm sure all who know them will agree.


The other week my dad was asked by one of his Sunday school students to take him to Palo Alto.  Dad has been very close to Oscar's family for years now.  He loves them as if they are truly family and would literally do anything for them.  So when Oscar was accepted into Stanford and needed someone to attend the upcoming orientation weekend, which his parents were not going to be able to attend, his first thought was to ask my dad if he wanted to go.  I thought it was so sweet that a high school senior obviously feels so loved by dad that he was his first choice after his parents.

Like I said, to know my dad is to love my dad.


Oscar spent three days touring Stanford campus, attending classes and orientation training, and bonding with current college students.  He left, so excited to start this new step in his life and amazed at how diverse California is, especially from our little farm town of Ephrata.  Dad was so sweet with the whole experience.  Read every page of the thick Stanford handbook, contacted the Institute director and introduced everyone to Oscar.  The last day before they flew back to Washington, Dallas and I took Oscar and Dad around the city.  We started at the Oakland temple where the grounds were covered in gorgeous multicolored flowers and the view of the city was to die for.  Then we drove them into San Francisco to the Golden Gate Bridge, Lombard Street, Palace of Fine Arts, Pier 39 and Fisherman's wharf, Coit Tower, Chrissy Field Beach, and ate at the Hard Rock Cafe and shopped for souvenirs along the pier.  It was a perfectly sunny day, the perfect way to end the weekend.  I kept telling Oscar that the city was trying to convince him to stay.


You can't see San Francisco with out the Golden Gate Bridge!




Thanks, dad, for letting us spend such a fun day with you.  We love you so much and are constantly amazed by your pure heart and desire to love all those around you.  I pray that I will be able to shape my life around service as you and mom have done so frequently over the years.


I love you, daddy.

1 comment:

  1. Your dad IS totally amazing! I told my students the story of him yelling out "boring!" in the middle of the movie theater and they thought it was so funny.... of course, I was then treated to various students randomly calling out "boring!" the rest of the day.... (:

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed