Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Alcatraz

If you've read our blog over the past year, you know that we have had lots of company come visit, and we have loved every minute of it!  I'd like to think that friends come into town solely to see Dallas and I, but it's more likely due to the fact that San Francisco is literally one of the most beautiful and fun cities in the states.  This past weekend a couple of my good friends from college came out to visit.  This was their third time visiting over the past few years, but I made sure not to double any of our larger adventures.
I should really consider becoming a tour guide, shouldn't I?


I was surprised when Katy and Heather told me that they hadn't been to Alcatraz yet.  I actually thought I had slacked on my hosting skills!  So I made sure that our tour out to Alcatraz was the first adventure of our extended weekend.  In good fashion we showed up about a minute before our boat left so we wouldn't have to wait in any lines.  The ferry ride lasted a little over twenty minutes and gave us gorgeous views of both the city and Alcatraz Island.
(click on images to enlarge)


I'm pretty sure that I am in love with the historical beauty of Alcatraz.  The moss-covered brick made for a perfect photo shoot.  And who can resist the classic jail-bird shots behind bars?  Needless to say Katy and Heather were pretty good sports about posing in front of the countless numbers of tourists walking by.  They know me well and know I won't take no for an answer, especially when it comes to pictures!


When you arrive on Alcatraz there is a brief orientation by one of the park rangers before you are free to explore the island.  They have created a pretty awesome self-guided tour that covers the main prison building.  We took our time, making sure to stop frequently for photos.  It was a perfect day, especially since it was a gorgeously sunny 85degrees outside.  Have I told you all how much I love the bay area!?

As we were waiting for the return boat, we spent sometime people watching.  We tried to capture the magic that is San Francisco, but I am not sure these pictures do it justice.  There's A LOT of personality here, people can be pretty bold at times with their fashion!  We also found the "bush man" famous for his ingenious disguise.  He hides behind two branches and scares tourists walking by, it may not sound that funny, but anyone who has experienced it knows how hilarious he is!

6 comments:

  1. I have a very special place in my heart for Alcatraz.
    P.S. That last picture is HA-Larious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really could be your new job - tour guide!! You would be great. Set up your own deal like the vampire tour lady! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! People watching is so fun. Love that guys boots; the city of wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, you gotta love the different people you see in San Fran! You can get that everywhere, but it's so concentrated in SF. Lol. Wanna know something funny? I actually haven't been to Alcatraz. Haha. Sometimes when you grow up in a place it's harder to get to do everything that's around. Oo, I don't remember if you've ever mentioned it. But have you been to Angel Island? It's really beautiful. I haven't been since I was a kid, but it's pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE bushman! Always makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like it was a wonderful day to head to Alcatraz!

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed