Monday, November 19, 2012

Flashback Friday: Whale Watching in Auckland, New Zealand

Obviously I'm a few days late for this weeks' Flashback Friday, maybe one of these days I will actually post one on a Friday again...

In the summer of 2005 I took a trip back to New Zealand with a few of my good friends who I had taught with in New Zealand in 2003.  We spent a month traveling all over the country visiting friends and our host family.  I previously posted about our adventures north at the Bay of Islands.  While in Auckland, Ashley and I decided to take a whale and dolphin cruise for the day.  I wish I could put into words how incredible our experience was.  The pictures do not do justice for all the amazing animals we were able to see...
Gorgeous view from our boat looking back at the city of Auckland.
It was a gorgeous "winter" day in July (love that southern hemisphere switch of seasons) and we immediately fell in love with our cruise boat.  It had two points at the front of the boat that you could get an amazing almost 360 degree view of any animals in the water.
Enjoying all the different views from the boat.
Once we left the Auckland harbor we were welcomed by the most amazing site...a pod of over 300 dolphin feeding within the ocean waters.  I don't think I will ever be able to top that moment with dolphin again.  It was incredible to look out on a sea of bouncing gray fins peeking above the waves.  Several loved playing in and around our boat, using the boat's waves for their enjoyment.

Trying to show how many dolphin and how close they were...so not a good picture of myself though!

After we followed the pod of dolphin for awhile, we were also able to find several whales.  My favorite was a mom and baby calf making their way through the ocean waves.
I love Ashley so much and had such a blast with her.
I'm so glad we decided to spend the day out at sea!
Cruising through Auckland harbor...
Hands down one of the most amazing experiences being able to view such incredible wildlife in the natural environment, especially so highly populated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed