Friday, April 15, 2011

Flashback Friday: Thai Snake Farm

For our one year anniversary Dallas took me to Thailand to visit some of his old stomping grounds from the mission.  In Chaing Mai we were able to experience some pretty amazing things, one of which I've already blogged about; the elephants.

It goes without saying that the Thai Snake Farm needed it's own individual blog entry...


We arrived a little early for the cobra show and were ushered through the entry gates to a make shift "zoo".  You gotta love the Thai people.  They had some interesting warning signs along the way and nasty preserved snakes to look at.  

The zoo consisted of several unsturdy, wire cages filled with various snakes, lizards, and monkeys.  I'm pretty sure they had just found them on the streets.  My favorite was the Monkey sign...not a specific specie of monkey...it simply stated that the animal was a monkey...priceless!


After exploring through the back cages, we were ushered into an outdoor theatre with wooden benches circling a covered pit.  When the show began I was a bit squeamish to say the least.  It did not take long for the performers to capitalize on my squealing.  At one point they even tossed a cobra at me (holding on to the tail) where I literally jumped five rows back pushing Dallas out of the way.  It was a great test of how I would handle an emergency...not very well!


It was amazing to see how the cobras could be soothed.  At one point the performer was able to put the underside of the belly, because he had put it in some kind of a trance.  After the cobra portion of the show, they brought out several more types of snakes.  They let us hold the boa and even let us kiss it (or forced us to kiss it would be a better way of phrasing it!)  

I have no clue how or why people train snakes.  I've never liked them and yet I'm fascinated by them.  It was a pretty amazing show, I'm just glad I don't have to have snake charming as my job...I much prefer first graders!


1 comment:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed