Friday, June 8, 2012

Flashback Friday: Ephrata Bus Rides and Memorial Day

I've been thinking a lot about my daddy lately.
He just went through his second round of brain surgery this week and has been in our prayers and thoughts.  Thankfully surgery went well and daddy is back at home recuperating.  Since it's been such a crazy few months of surgeries for both my mom and dad, I thought I would do a flashback to before our family knew too well the ins and outs of hospitals and waiting rooms.

May of 2006 I decided to fly home from teaching for the weekend to be with family in Washington.  It's an Adams family tradition to spend Memorial Day together bringing flowers to grandpa's grave at the Ephrata Cemetery.  Sadly, over the years we are having to visit more than just our grandpa.  Bryan and Heather's family drove over from the Seattle area to also spend the weekend with us.  It was so much fun seeing my nieces and nephews, especially since I lived so far away in Utah.
Looking back at these pictures, I am shocked at how much the kids have grown.  Max and Natalie are so old and grown up now.  Max is even in middle school now, which sounds crazy to me.  Natalie also seems so grown up, having been baptized this year. 
But I mostly love looking back at sweet Mara, all smiles and carefree; dancing and singing with her crazy aunt.  I can't believe it's almost been four years since she passed.
This particular Memorial Day turned out to be quite the memory.
The family was goofing off at home when all of a sudden dad pulled up driving one of the Willow Drive school buses used to transport workers to different areas on the farm.  Honking the horn, dad told all of us kids and grand kids to hop on for a ride.  He drove us up the road where little Natalie helped grandpa fill the bus with gas and then off we went around the country side; none of us really knowing what dad had in store.
About a mile down the road dad pulled over at our neighbors house and proceeded to honk the school bus horn.  All the neighbors were then instructed to hop on the bus as well.  House by house, dad pulled over inviting everyone to board the "Adams Family Crazy Train."  Before we knew it, we had over 40 people singing silly songs while being driven around the country side by daddy.  I love the pictures below showing all the fun people who willingly jumped aboard and especially the picture of Natalie and Mara, with their matching braids, patting their grandpa on the head as he drives the bus.

The next day being Memorial Day, we all picked a bunch of flowers and met up with our aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandma at the Ephrata cemetery.  It was fun to see my cousin Rocky and hang out with all my younger brothers again.
The picture below still melts my heart.
Mara noticed that I was really sad while looking at my friend, TJ's, grave.  She came and sat on my lap and wanted to know who he was and what he was like.  It was so special to be able to tell her about TJ, about how close we were in high school, and how he had passed away with another friend, Matt, at the end of our senior year.  I told her I thought they were serving missions together in Heaven and she thought that was so neat.  I like to think that TJ and Matt were among the angels welcoming Mara home.  I'm sure they shared with her some crazy stories!
It wouldn't be a complete visit home without seeing my adopted grand parents, Bill and Doris.  They have shown us all such incredible love and generosity over the years.  I love them both so much and feel so blessed to have another set of grandparents in my life!

1 comment:

  1. Way to make me cry! I'm so grateful for warm memories that touch my heart with love for our family. Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen a few of those pictures. Love you, mom


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed