Sunday, February 15, 2015

NZ Reunion 2014 Days 4, 5, 6


I was super excited that, after an incredible weekend with my New Zealand girls in October, Ashley was able to extend her stay for a few extra days.  She had recently returned from a year abroad in France, so I loved being able to spend extra time with her.  Daxton, of course, loved the added attention and I loved hearing all her fun stories.  
For our first adventure we decided to take Ashley to the Lion Country Safari.  It's one of Daxton and mine favorite spots to visit since moving here to south Florida.  There is a massive drive-through safari park and then a fun zoo/park to explore by foot afterwards.  Daxton's favorite part was being able to drive the car and play around in the back seat without the confines of his carseat.  He also loved seeing all the different animals, especially since they were so close to our car.

Just a few of the animals we were able to see...
Ostriches, water buffalo, and lions

several Rhinos

This cute and crazy boy loved jumping around in the back seat.

So many zebra!

Giraffe crossing the road

After the drive-through safari, we explored the park.  We had a lot of fun at the Lorikeet interaction where Daxton was even brave enough to feed the birds.  He held the fruit cup but didn't want the birds landing on him, so I helped a bit.  It was so cute to see his face light up as he noticed little details of the Lorikeet's colorful wings. 

Ashley feeding the Lorikeets
(On a side note...oh how I wish I looked as adorable as her in the hot Florida sun!)

After feeding the Lorikeets we walked to the Giraffe Encounter.  Daxton loves feeding Giraffe and we've had several opportunities to do so throughout southern Florida.  He was very excited to show Ashley how to hold the lettuce and loved watching the giraffe's long tongue.  I love Ashley's facial expression in the bottom right picture!

Daxton feeding the giraffe.

We finished off the fun day by exploring the rest of the park, playing on bongo drums, and running through any water spray showers we could find.


The next day Ashley wanted to see a bit of Miami, but sadly it turned out to be a very wet and gloomy day.  We ended up driving down to Key Biscayne, an island off the coast of Miami, but unfortunately the weather didn't allow for us to do much else.  I tried to show her views of the city and how gorgeous the water was, but with the gray clouds and rain, we weren't able to see much.  On Key Biscayne we got out to stretch our legs and let Daxton throw rocks into the ocean.

Looking back at Miami

I love those cute flip flopped toes!

Since it was such a rainy day, we decided to head back home early and stop at our new favorite, the New River Grove fruit market.  We got yummy smoothies, more pie (yes, more pie), and yummy treats.  Although the weather didn't allow us to do much, we still ended up having a great day.

Our last day together was spent at the beach!
The rain clouds from the previous day had not cleared yet, but it was perfect since it helped keep the temperatures more comfortable.  We spent the morning/afternoon playing in the sand and waves.  Daxton had a blast running in and out of the ocean, especially since there were hardly any waves.  

Nothing beats relaxing at the beach!


I LOVE how much this kid loves the water!

Picture perfect beach bum!

Relaxing at the beach was the absolute perfect way to end an incredible week together!
I truly count myself extremely lucky to have been blessed with such amazing friends throughout the years.  I love how months can go without talking to them and we can still pick right back up where we left off, as if no time has passed.  They've been so loving and supportive throughout the years and they've been a big deal in molding me into the person I am today.
I can honestly say that I am a better person with them in my life.
I love them each dearly.
I had so much fun with them visiting and can't wait for our adventures in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed