Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Fall Recap: Dallas' Birthday and Christmas in Casper

This is the last of my 'Fall Recaps'.
December turned out to be quite the busy month.  The holidays always seem to bring a lot of activity from finishing up work, shopping for the family, attending holiday parties, baking goodies, etc.  I was also almost into the second trimester, so my nausea had mostly passed and I was regaining energy.  I figured that it would be fun to make a lot of the gifts this year, so I spent a lot of time at different craft stores and up to my elbows in modpodge and pictures.  I hope everyone enjoyed their gifts because they were made with serious love!

Dallas's birthday is on the 22nd of December, so it's been a bit difficult to distinguish it from Christmas gifts some years.  I asked him once if he liked having it so close to the holiday season and he said that it was great because he got twice the amount of gifts.  So if he's fine with it, I should be too!

This year we decided to have a combined birthday party for him and another neighbor friend in our ward, Jay.  It was pretty easy since both guys are totally laid back.  We opened up our apartment to the neighborhood, pushed all the furniture back, and let the kids go wild.  Each had their own cake with several birthday candles to blow out, lots of ice cream and goodies...I'm pretty sure all the kids were in sugar comas by the end of the night!
The party went pretty late into the night, which made for a very early morning.  We left for the SFO airport via BART around 4am.  Casper is a pretty hard place to get to since it's in the middle of Wyoming and pretty expensive to fly into.  We found extremely cheap flights from Vegas to Casper, so we ended up flying to Vegas in the morning and then catching another flight from there to Casper that night.  By the time we got to Casper I was not feeling too hot.  I figured it was because I hadn't slept the night before with all the partying.  Needless to say within the next few hours I had developed the worlds worst cough and was totally congested.

We don't get to see Dallas' family very often, because we live so far away from everyone, and I felt horrible that I wasn't feeling well.  On Christmas Eve we went over to Grandpa and Grandma Dittburner's house for the traditional family dinner and gift exchange.  It was so much fun to see little Brynnlee interact with everyone, especially the dogs.  She got a kick out of chasing them around the house.  I also love watching Dallas interact with his dad.  They have such a special relationship.  I pray that our little boy will take after his father and grandfathers!
Ashleigh found the most amazing vest and I wish I would have taken a picture of her dressing up poor Kelli in it.  I swear she is the most patient dog ever!  Christmas morning everyone went to church, but I was up all night sick, so I stayed in bed.  When they got back from church we all opened presents and watched Brynnlee tear apart the wrapping paper.  She is pretty darn cute!

The minute that I started to show signs of illness, Dallas did what every supporting husband would... He set me up in the basement bedroom, turned on the humidifier, turned off the lights, and then left.  Every couple hours he would peak his head in, hold his breath, make sure I was ok, and then leave again.  I sure do love him!  We tried to go to a walk-in clinic, but they wouldn't accept us since I was pregnant; too much liability.  So we ended up having to spend an entire morning in the emergency room trying to see a doctor.  It turned out I had bronchitis and two ear infections.  They gave me some great drugs to take that would be safe for the baby as well and then sent us home.  I spent the next few days in bed sleeping.

I felt horrible I missed out on all the Perkins holiday games and family bonding.  They were so sweet to let me sleep and get feeling better.  Dallas said he had a great time hanging out with his family.  They went to a couple movies, played lots of games, visited relatives, went shooting, and ate great food.  Next time I'm going to do everything in my power to not get sick before heading on vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed