Friday, May 4, 2012

Fall Recap: Janelle's Visit and Thanksgiving

After how crazy October turned out to be, November was quite relaxing.
One of my best friends from Provo, Janelle, flew out to visit for a week.  It was her birthday so we definitely wanted to make the trip special.  Dallas loves Janelle and was such a sweetheart with all our crazy ideas.  Since school was out the entire week for Thanksgiving break, I didn't even have work to distract me. 
She flew in on a Sunday night, so Dallas and I picked her up from the airport and drove us into San Francisco.  Janelle and I thought it would be fun to have a couple 'girls days' in the city, so Dallas dropped us off at the Westin Hotel at Union Square.  The hotel was absolutely gorgeous and the perfect way to start the few days of pampering we had planned.  I'm sure Dallas was just excited he didn't have to be present for all the late night talking and giggling!
We stayed up all night catching up and woke up to a yummy birthday breakfast in bed.  Our room had an amazing view looking out towards Union Square.  After getting ready for the day, we spent hours shopping along Powell Street.  Janelle was very patient with my lack of energy and growing baby bump.  During the holiday season the city makes a huge ice skating rink in the middle of Union Square.  Janelle couldn't pass up the opportunity to skate in the middle of San Francisco!

You can't stay at Union Square and not eat at the Chesecake Factory at the top of Macys.  It's become our tradition the past few times she's been out to visit.  We sat outside with the most amazing view of Union Square's Christmas tree lit up and decorated.  After dinner we took our time exploring Macys.  They had an entire floor dedicated to the holidays.  There were hundreds of decorated trees, all a different theme.  The Hawaii theme reminded us of our trip to Oahu back in 2006.  We especially loved the theme "Believe," which brought back some great memories from another trip with friends to southern California that same year.

On our third day in the city, we checked out of the Westin and headed to the California Academy of Sciences.  I was shocked when Janelle told me that I had never taken her there, especially since this was her fifth time visiting the bay area with me.  She loved the indoor rainforest and the aquarium. 

After spending the day at the California Academy of Sciences, we drove over to Baker Beach to watch the sunset.  I absolutely love this beach.  It's very rarely populated and has an amazing view of the Golden Gate Bridge.  It was a little chilly with the wind, but there is nothing like the fresh ocean breeze and the sound of the waves.  We could have stayed there for hours.
The rest of the week we spent back in Pleasant Hill.  We had a blast going to movies, relaxing, and enjoying our time off of work.  On Thanksgiving Dallas, Janelle, and I all pitched in to make a perfect Thanksgiving meal.  It was so great to have her with us.  I wish I could put into words how amazing Janelle is.  She has been such an incredible example to me over the past 8 years that I've known her.  She has literally become one of the biggest blessings in my life and I love her to pieces.
Janelle, I hope you had a great birthday.  Thanks so much for coming out to visit and thank you even more for being the amazing friend that you are.

1 comment:

  1. Hey - this is about ME! What great reminders of my last visit. I can't believe it has been so many months! I miss & love you. (:

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed