Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Fort Point

Saturday, July 17th, I decided to take Janelle and Jason into the city to explore Fort Point.  My brother first took me there in June and I was shocked I had never heard of it before.  I had been to the Golden Gate Bridge several times and had viewed Fort Point from above, but I didn't realize you could go inside.  


My first thought when I entered, was how Jason would have loved taking pictures there.  So when they surprised me with another visit I jumped at the chance to show them "my new find!"


Fort Point has a pretty cool history, but I'll only briefly give you the highlights.
It was built between 1853 and 1861 nearly 150 years ago.
It was built during the height of the California Gold Rush and was planned as a base to prevent a navel attack on California.


Fort Point has witnessed the Civil War, earthquakes, the San Francisco fires, the Golden Gate Bridge construction, World War II, and is now a National Historical Site.


In the late 1930's when plans for the construction of Golden Gate called for the destruction of Fort Point, Chief Engineer Joseph Strauss specially designed an arch to be built over the main building.
On October 16, 1970, Fort Point became a National Historic Site.

Since Fort Point is located under the south side of Golden Gate Bridge, it tends to create a wind tunnel, especially on the top level of the Fort.  We decided to get some pictures before we were absolutely wind blown.

Janelle and I looking back at the city, Pier 39, and Alcatraz.


Janelle has become my sister over the past few years.  I think we even kind of look alike :) I look up to her in so many ways.  I am truly blessed to have her in my life.


I'm not quite sure why the sad faces...they were probably making fun of me or something!


There were so many awesome photo opportunities.  In fact every time I've visited Fort Point (three times since the beginning of June) there have always been some kind of engagement or wedding photo shoot going on.  
The weathered brick is gorgeous and the perfect backdrop.
So you can imagine that we seized the chance to do our own photo shoot.










6 comments:

  1. Love all the pictures and updates - I feel famous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should feel famous; I've blogged about you a ton! I'm so glad you guys came out, I miss you already...

    Tracy, I'm so in love with my camera; it's a little insane :) I wish we lived closer to do photo shoots like you do with your girls there. I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsten, it's amazing that these last few posts have been all about Janelle and I. It makes me feel a little bit like a celebrity as well. It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I kept the original copy of the picture with you behind bars - when your eyes are bright red. It is very vampire-esque.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look absolutely BEAUTIFUL in that last picture!! I never knew that place existed, we are going to have to visit it the next time we are there!

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed