Friday, July 9, 2010

Up State New York: Day 2 Niagara Falls


The second day in Geneva we decided to drive over to Niagara Falls.  It was a couple hours from Richard's apartment, but with a little baby on board we took a few stops.  I got some good shopping in along the way, so I couldn't complain!

Niagra Falls has been on my bucket list for years, so when we finally crossed over the border into Canada and got our first glimpse of the falls I couldn't help but squeal...yes squeal...and yes, Richard made fun of me!

We walked along the Canadian side of the Falls with the best view of "Horseshoe Falls".  I eagerly snapped away the pictures.  I wish they did the falls justice, but with the endless amount of water tumbling over the side it created a ton of mist. We were pretty wet, but I loved every minute of it!


Some cool facts about Niagara Falls...
  • The first person to go over the Falls in a barrel and survive was a 63 year old female schoolteacher, which I think is pretty darn cool!
  • High wire tightrope acts used to be performed across the river.
  • Twenty percent of the worlds freshwater lies in the Great Lakes, and most flows over Niagara Falls.
  • The length of Horseshoe Falls' brink is 2,600 feet, the height is 167 feet, and the volume of water going over the falls is 600,000 gallons per second.


It was a pretty awesome experience to be so close to something so powerful.
I think Richard and Leisha had the right idea after seeing these signs...little Emma was just fine staying in her stroller!




No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed