Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Picnicking at Muir Beach; Hiking at Muir Woods

From the massive amount of pictures from my recent blogs, one can easily see that I am loving my new camera.  I'm excited to learn more about it and know that practice is one of the best ways to gain experience.  Jason is an incredible photographer and I loved being able to hear ideas and advice to improve my photography.  

We decided to spend a day exploring nature and taking in the sites at Muir Beach and Muir Woods.  We were originally planning on hiking first; then relaxing later, but the parking was pretty full at Muir woods, so we decided to switch things up a bit.  I've taken lots of people to Muir Beach mainly because it is more secluded and obscure than most beaches.  

It's located 16.5 miles northwest of San Francisco with a population of only 295...and I thought my hometown was small!


I was surprised to find out that almost all of the 150 homes located in the area are full-time residents.  I would have sworn that they were vacation homes.  I can only imagine what it would be like living in such a gorgeous area.
The beach itself is blocked in on both sides by large boulders with interesting tide pools you can explore.


We spent a few hours playing in the waves, taking tons of pictures, and eating our picnic lunch.  I may have forgotten to apply sunscreen, yet again, which resulted in very painful hours later on wearing frozen clothes to try and take the heat away.  Once again not the brightest choice I've ever made!
It was such a gorgeous day, though, and it made it that much better being with great friends.



After frying our skin, we drove to Muir woods about 2 miles away.
President Theodore Roosevelt created Muir Woods as a National Monument on January 9, 1908.  It was named after the conservationist John Muir.



It is crazy to think that although once found across the northern hemisphere, Coastal Redwoods can only be found along a narrow 500 mile coastal strip in northern California and southern Oregon.  Walking among them is always a surreal experience, imagining all that's happened and changed while they remain the same.



More than 800,000 people from all over the world visit Muir Woods each year.  We got there around 4pm so most of the tourists were slowly on their way out of the park.  It was a perfect day and between both Jason and I we took about 300 pictures!  Obviously I only chose a few that highlighted our adventure.









This picture pretty much sums up what we did all day long...poor Janelle was probably bored out of her mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed