Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Illinois Trip: Buckingham Fountain, Streets of Chicago

After our fun afternoon at Navy Pier we had a couple more hours available to explore Chicago.  We decided to head back to Millennium Park to the Buckingham Fountain and then walk through the streets of Chicago and Michigan Avenue.
 Buckingham Fountain was gorgeous and a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be.  It shot straight into the air for several minutes at a time, reminding me of the Bellagio fountains in Las Vegas.  With a slight breeze, the water spray was carried several yards.
 I know mom and dad are going to hate that I am posting all of these pictures of them, but I love how silly they were together on this trip.  I think being on a month long road trip together had made them a bit loopy.  They still had another week to go after we left them in Chicago!  I have to admit though, I love how affectionate they are to each other; taking care of one another, holding hands, etc.  I really hope that Dallas and I still treat each other that way after the kids are grown.  They are a great example to us.


After Buckingham Fountain we made our way over to Michigan Avenue.  The streets of Chicago are amazing.  There are so many diverse styles of architecture, people and so many things going on.  We even came across a group of people playing street chess.

One of the highlights of the trip was getting to go out to dinner with my dear childhood friend, Jamie Ricks.  We were both raised in neighboring central Washington small farming towns.  Her grandma lived in my ward and she would often come visit.  I have so many fun memories with her.  It's been years since we've been able to see each other, so when we started planning our trip to Chicago/Nauvoo I wanted to make sure to meet up.  Mom and dad were amazing in watching Daxton for the evening (I'm pretty sure they were loving all the snuggles and kisses from him.)  Dallas and I had a great night going out to dinner with Jamie and her boyfriend, Jordan.  They took us to a local pizzaria where we talked and laughed for a couple hours.  Then they showed us around the neighborhood and made a pretty convincing case as to why we needed to move to Chicago.  I have to admit I was tempted!  The night went by way to quickly.  I wish I could put into words how great it was to see her and catch up after so many years.  I love her to pieces!
Thanks again, Jamie and Jordan, for the fun night!  We'll need to do it again, sooner rather than later!
It was the perfect ending to a perfect quick trip to Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed